Tasty Roast Pumpkin and Chicken Noodles

WHAT'S FOR DINNER?

It was one of those days- I felt like something different for dinner. Something besides the usual meals that adorn the family dinner table. I was bored with what we have been eating. I had a pack of lovely chicken legs that needed to be eaten and a butternut pumpkin I had roasted earlier in the day. Although I spent far too many minutes browsing Jamie Oliver recipes, google, and Pinterest, I couldn't find anything that used the ingredients I had. So... as the minutes ticked away and dinner time loomed nearer, I took a deep breathe and determined to make up a recipe. The general inspiration for the recipe came from Jamie Oliver's Chicken Laksa in my 15 minute meal recipe book. And boy was this creative twist of a meal  was a success!

The kids all asked for seconds (you know its a winner if that happens!) and the husband and kids all requested that I make this again. I think in the future I would rather use a more mildly flavored noodle, but it was still delicious with the black bean noodles, and I can feel good about the extra fiber and protein everyone consumed. 

LIFE CHANGING ROAST PUMPKIN

One life changing tip about roasting the pumpkin: I mean, learning this, literally changed my life. I love pumpkin. But I never loved chopping or preparing pumpkin. Now I no longer risk losing my life as I attack a rock solid pumpkin with the butcher knife. The thought of which usually left me skipping the pumpkin dishes altogether. Now I can have pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pasta, or pumpkin anything with a simple plop of the pumpkin (or multiple pumpkins :) onto a baking tray into the oven and pumpkin extraordinaire delivered! Check out Jamie Oliver showing how its done. Seriously, just try it! Life changing- I'm telling you! 

Anyways, Get cooking.
                                            TASTY PUMPKIN AND CHICKEN NOODLES

Ingredients 
flesh of 1 small roast butternut pumpkin (squash)*
500g free range lovely chicken legs (thighs or normal legs would work instead)
2 brown onions, sliced 
1 large red capsicum (bell pepper), sliced 
small handful of fresh sage, thyme and chive, chopped 
2 tsp Worcestershire
3 small garlic cloves 
1/2 cup thickened (heavy) cream 
Optional: 100g baby spinach
Salt 
dukkah** or parmigiana cheese to top 

fine Black bean spaghetti or rice noodles


 *Use half the flesh of the pumpkin if you have a large size pumpkin 
** I used Thistle Be Good Bush Tucker dukkah- the lemon myrtle flavor complimented the dish perfectly, but I think any dukkah would work.

Directions
Prepare noodles according to package directions.
 Brown Chicken in a fry pan with olive oil. Add onions and capsicum around chicken. Cook until onions and capsicum are tender and a bit caramelized. Add a splash of water if sticks. Add herbs and worcestershire. Add garlic. Saute another 5 minutes. Add Pumpkin flesh. Stir til pumpkin is smooth. Allow to simmer  on medium heat with lid on for 15-20 min. Once chicken is cooked through lower heat and add cream and then spinach if using. Stir 1 more minute. Remove from heat. Salt to taste. 
Serve over noodles. Sprinkle with dukkah and or parmi. Enjoy :D


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shiller Learning Language Arts Review: Montessori or not?

How to Start Homeschooling Step by Step

Nutrition Packed Carrot Cake Bliss Balls- Gluten Free, Vegan

Our Favourite Beginning Phonics Readers for Learning to Read

Montessori Inspired Cooking for Young Kids- Review of the Independent Kids Cookbook by Plenty of Trays

What We Do All Day- Homeschool Record Keeping: FREE DAILY TRACKING PRINTABLE